Sunday, September 29, 2019

Attack of the Feminist Nazis from Outer Space


"Maybe it is just the cover art, but he is wearing several layers and a coat while her skin is bare. I wouldn’t dress like she did to go to a fight in a cold place, so I infer she isn’t smart enough to be worth while to read about. If he likes her, there is something wrong with him. If he got her into the situation clothed like that, he is despicable. No good reason to read this book, and I write this sort of book professionally. Get new cover art."

The preceding was a comment from someone on Linkedin commenting on the cover art for The Starhawk Chronicles. Apparently, my critic feels that my main character is a misogynistic caveman who subjugates the women around him. 

The Starhawk Chronicles  has been available for a little over 6 years now. Never in all that time have I heard anything other than positivity towards the cover art. I never believed in having a female character wearing a metal bikini with size FFF boobs hanging out on the cover unless it was absolutely an element in the story, which it is not. I also have 3 daughters and the last thing I wanted to do was have my main female protagonist sexualized in any way, giving them the wrong impression that women should be portrayed that way. I don't think there is anything offensive about how Kayla is portrayed on the cover. Even her jumpsuit is far from skintight. One of my problems with the Star Trek series of the late 90's-2000's was having a key female character, important parts of the crew, wearing outfits that basically look painted on. Don't get me wrong. I'm no prude. I just don't see the point , or practicality, for a character to be dressed like that who isn't of low repute.
As a friend pointed out,
 Kayla has a 2nd amendment
 right to "bare arms"
...but this person is apparently appalled that her arms are bare while Jesse is wearing a jacket, and that makes him "despicable." Anyone who has read the book knows thaAs for Jesse being sexist, I must point out that Kayla pulls his fat from the fire on several occasions. She is in no way subservient to him.

I cannot abide weak female characters. The one thing that always bothered me about 1950's sci-fi/ horror films was that the female lead was always there to do nothing more than scream and run away from the monster, to be rescued by the hero.(Margaret Sheriden in 1951's The Thing from Another World being an exception.) My view of women in sci-fi were influenced by Princess Leia, Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, and others. I write strong female characters. I believe in women having equal rights, but when uber-feminists criticize male characters without even reading the book, well...let's just say it hurts their cause.

Classic example of not judging a book by its cover. And I've seen her covers. Not a lot there to judge.

Makes The Starhawk Chronicles look like War and Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I think the cover is fine! That person makes it sound like Kayla is skantly clad. If that is her uniform of choice, more power to her!

    ReplyDelete